Easy Weddings…can happen.
If you’re currently planning your wedding, chances are you’ve heard many tales from other brides. Some may claim that their wedding took months, even years, to sort out, while others may insist that they had the whole thing sorted out within a matter of a few weeks!
If you’re thinking it’s not possible, let me assure you – it really is.
Easy weddings are achievable, if you have a clear set of wishes and objectives in mind and don’t let yourself become distracted by all the other wedding ephemera, whether it’s unsolicited advice, the wishes of others for your “big day” or the feeling that you should be attending every wedding fair in the area.
Here are a few of the best tips we’ve discovered, through our own experiences and discussions with other brides:
- Set a budget that doesn’t involve going into debt for your wedding. It may eliminate certain venues and features, but it doesn’t mean you can’t have a simple, elegant and meaningful wedding with all the most important aspects covered. It will also mean you aren’t left panicking over the state of your finances when you’re set to start your new life with your new spouse.
- Remember, no matter how nice you think they are, bridesmaids’ dresses will only be worn once. Consider letting attendants pick out their own dresses within your colour scheme, or hiring dresses just for the day.
- Ask the groomsmen and ushers if they have their own suits or tuxedos. If so, consider letting them wear them, and only purchase or hire accessories such as ties.
- Choose flowers that are in season and can be grown buy generic medications locally – doing so can drastically decrease this expense, compared to purchasing exotic flowers.
- If you must have favours, pick something that is simple and edible, such as a small chocolate treat.
- Print your invitations yourself – stationary shops typically have a wide range of wedding kits. Some modern brides even stick to social media event invitations for the majority and only send out invites to friends and family who aren’t online.
- Hire a photographer who will only shoot photos digitally, or even a student photographer. You’ll still get great shots and you’ll save money over a seasoned pro, or the expense of having film developed.
- Carefully consider your wedding venue. If you want an easy wedding that is intimate and simple, it could be held in the home or garden of a friend or family member. If you are sticking to a church or other public venue, ask in advance for their policy on flowers and musicians. Some will require you to pay for all the services they offer, even if you’re not using them.
- Think outside the box, and don’t hesitate to be different. Regardless of what other girls you know have done for their weddings, or family expectations, easy weddings involve keeping perspective and sticking to what’s most important to you. Don’t bow to peer pressure or do something just because your friends did.
- Remember what’s really important. If something goes awry, or you have to make decisions based on budget, at the end of the day you’re still married to the partner of your dreams!