DIY (Do-it-yourself) weddings are all the rage at the moment.
If you’ve spent even a few minutes on Pinterest lately, you’re likely to have seen numerous ideas for how to not just plan your own wedding, but make all the decorations yourself. There are even many excellent ideas for creating your own DIY wedding invites and wedding cake.
If you have your heart set on a specific wedding theme, particularly if it’s one that’s rather unique, DIY weddings are often a great way to ensure you get just what you want. DIY weddings can also cut down on costs for brides on tighter budgets.
So if you or your partner are a bit handy or artistic, why not turn your hand to crafting some of the aspects of your wedding personally? It’ll lend a pretty touch that’s all your own.
A few great ideas for DIY weddings include:
- Printing your own invitations, or crafting them using cardstock and scrapbooking embellishments. Keep in mind how many guests you’re inviting when you budget how much time and money to spend on each invite, though.
- Similarly, printing or crafting orders of service, place setting cards, guest books, boxes for favours and menus.
- Baking your own wedding cake, or tiers of fairy cakes. If cake decorating isn’t your forte, you could also ask a friend or family member for assistance.
- Using stencils and craft paints and glue to add unique and beautiful touches to otherwise plain and simple centerpieces and table runners.
- Design your own bouquet and other floral decorations, using locally grown and in season flowers.
- Using ribbon to create flower aisle decorations and boutonnieres.
- Cutting colour-coordinated fabric scraps into triangles with pattern-edged scissors and assembling your own decorative bunting.
- Coordinating a few friends and family members to make and bring finger foods and desserts for a homey backyard wedding, instead of hiring a caterer.
- Compiling a playlist of wedding songs on an iPod and retaining a musically inclined friend as the DJ.
Thankfully, for all the creative brides to be out there who are interested in DIY weddings, there are websites and blogs that offer tremendous inspiration. A little research will uncover free paper printables for stationary and decorations to suit your wedding theme and even video tutorials on elegant and easy ways to design flower bouquets and even your own wedding cake.
You may be going the handmade route to save money, have a specific theme you’re determined everything will fall under, want to ensure your big day will be like no one else’s or just see your wedding as the perfect opportunity to show off your crafty side. Whatever your reasons, there is no doubt that DIY weddings are very hip right now for brides to be all over the globe.
Collect ideas, budget your time and money accordingly and most of all have fun putting together your decorations, eats, invitations and whatever else strikes your fancy. Your DIY wedding will be an amazing reflection of your unique style and the love you and your spouse-to-be share.